Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Can a .22lr take down a deer (not neccesarly kill it just take it down)?

I am curious if a ruger 10/22 shooting a .22lr with a full metal jacket bullet or hollow point, take down a deer or would it run away? or would it run and then fall to the floor near by?





I am just curious if a .22lr bullet can be a hunting/self defense bullet against animals. not saying i am going to hunt with it or anything.Can a .22lr take down a deer (not neccesarly kill it just take it down)?
Yes.





More than likely the deer would bleed out, die from an infection or a busted jaw - unable to eat or drink because you read that head shots are cool.





A .22 is just not able to give a humane kill. Respect for your quarry should be first and foremost.





When I read a question like this my question is do you own a gun? I hope not!Can a .22lr take down a deer (not neccesarly kill it just take it down)?
It won't run and fall on the floor. There's no floor outside.


And if the deer will run or not- that depends on shot placement- and that goes with ALL calibers/gauges that can be used.





A .22 isn't a good choice for a defense gun, yes, it can kill, but that doesn't mean it should be used to kill large game. It's a varmint caliber like a .223 is.


A shotgun or handgun would be a better decision. A rifle bullet can travel between 1 and 2 miles, so regardless of what caliber your shooting, so, you NEED to know what's beyond your target and that means a LOT further than a few hundred yards.





A .22 can kill a 1,000+ lb bull, but does that mean is the right choice for the job? No. Besides, it's illegal to kill/shoot a deer with a .22. In *most* states the smallest caliber you can use is a .243.
Firstly, yes. It's highly illegal, and quite unethical, unless you are a really, really good shot.





Secondly, Yes it will kill a deer... rather efficiently if you can place the bullet right behind the ear or in the heart (hollowpoints for the latter though...). I've done it, but it was on my own property... and I have been shooting since childhood (20+ years and counting).





.22 can EASILY kill... however it is not the best choice, nor is it ethical in many instances.





I don't recommend it at all. I do it because I know I can make the shot, and kill the animal I'm shooting at cleanly. If there is any uncertainty, then no-one should make ANY shot, with ANY firearm on ANY animal.
I agree with everyone else's answers and I don't condone hunting deer with a .22LR, try rabbits and grouse! However, everyone that answered seems to have missed the part where he said he does not plan on hunting with it ';not saying i am going to hunt with it or anything';.





Yes I believe with proper bullet placement a deer can be dropped in his tracks with a .22LR. IT IS ILLEGAL AND INHUMANE SO PLEASE DO NOT USE IT. I suggest a .243 for deer!
First... where most deer live they don't have any floors to fall to.. they live outdoors... following the concept so far?





Do you understand anything about humanity, compassion or ethics? I didn't think so.





If you have paid ANY attention here or searched for your answer before taking the easier route and just asking... you would have read literally HUNDREDS of answers that stated that a .22 lr is insufficient for HUMANELY and MERCIFULLY killing an animal of that size.





I see your previous questions and answers are private. I know why.
When I was in high school a kid in my class shot one with a .22lr. Killed it. He got is quite a bit of trouble. Shooting our of season, illegal caliber, and some other things. Where we used to get our beef processed, they would kill cattle with a .22lr handgun. I saw them kill a Brahma bull one time. It took 3 shots. I don't know if the guy was scared standing at the end of an open shoot with the bull running at him and missed or if it was just that tough.
* No, forget about it, very bad idea.* You will end up crippling, wounding, or injuring it.* Leave your Gun at home so you won't be tempted to shoot any Big Game with a 22 Long Rifle.*
Yes. It's illegal pretty much everywhere and you need perfect shot placement to kill anything. At least one person has killed a bear with one in a one in a million shot from a distance of less than five feet.
best self defense against animals if you have a 22: shoot a tourist in the knee and run like hell
yep. no problems for survival situations, you do need to be rather close though.
Bad Idea
Its illegal.......this is not something a good hunter would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment