Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fellow deer hunters: what type of gun do you prefer?

I got my first buck a couple of years back with a Remington .243, and was wondering what everyone prefered.





Thanks!Fellow deer hunters: what type of gun do you prefer?
I'm a huge fan of 25-06 and .308 calibers. The .243 is a great round, well suited for anything from small game and varmints to white tail, depending on the grain weight of the bullet you use. You'd be hard pressed to find a more versatile caliber than the .243. The 308 is well suited for taking virtually any game in north america, but shot placement is critical. the 25-06 is also well suited for any game in north america, but shot placement here is critical as well.Fellow deer hunters: what type of gun do you prefer?
i personally prefer the remington 700 in .300 winchester magnum. my reasoning is this, if i ever choose to go after elk or bear, i have a gun thats capable of making the kill cleanly. and also with just one gun, ya learn it limitations better than if ya had a different gun for each species ya intend to hunt.
Most people will say 30-06, 270, 308, 30-30, and so on because they are popular calibers. Different strokes for different folks. Personally, most will shun me for my choice of caliber but I too prefer the 243. I'm a firm believer in the theory that speed kills. I love my Ruger M77 243. I've killed more whitetail with it than my 30-06.





Don't get me wrong folks, other calibers are great deer guns. I just love my 243 and will never part with it.
Well me, I'm a Lever gun / open sights kind of guy. .30-30, .357 Magnum, .44 magnum. I grew up in Iowa, where only shotguns with slugs were legal, so 12Ga. Slugs were how I grew up.
I have harvested Deer with 218 Bee, 222, 30-06 %26amp; 30-30...* As always proper shot placement matters most of all.*
Springfield 03 1950s Custom .30-06, Ruger mark I Intl. in .308. Savage in .270 (lefty)
Remington 7mm-08 in a Remington 700 model is the best rifle I have ever used on deer. Most every deer I have shot has fell dead on the spot!! My wife uses a Remington .243 700 model because of the light recoil. She is has shot 3 deer so far and they also dropped dead on the spot.


I have hunted for many years and killed a lot of deer. I was always told that the kill zone was in the upper front shoulder area. I had to hunt a lot of deer I shot this way because most of them when shot would run. This resulted in a lot of tracking most of the time. There were a few nice deer I never found. I was told by a friend a few years ago to aim for the neck on my next hunt. I did just that and the deer dropped right were he was standing. Me and my wife have shot about 12 deer since then using the neck as our target and everyone of them have fell right were they stood.


I am telling you this because I believe you should use what ever type caliber rifle that you feel comfortable with because the secret is not how big of a bullet you have it is were that bullet hits its target. Good Luck and I hope you have a great hunting season!!
I use a semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs.
Model VZ-24 re-chambered for the 8mm/06 loaded with a Sierra 220gr. GameKing Spitzer Boattail.


I have used this weapon more than all the others in my pile to take deer. Oh, it has a cut and re-welded bolt handle turned to allow the use of a 3-9 Leopold Gold Ring scope. The work was performed by Kenny Genecco in Stockton Cal. almost 35 years ago.
Hi Peachy. I've harvested one deer with a .243 (a Winchester Model 70) but my favorite deer rifle is my old tried-n-true Remington 700 ADL in .25-06 Remington.





Best.





H
I've killed several feral hogs, a javelina, 8 whitetails, 3 Mule deer, 1 fallow deer and 1 axis deer with a .243. Never had on travel more than 50 yards. Remember it is the shooter and not the rifle that matters.





Favorite rifle is a modified Swedish Mauser with a scout 2X scope - caliber is the 6.5X55 - used it for Oryx, Red deer, fallow deer, and numerous hogs
270
8mmMauser bolt action (32 caliber), good for anything on north american continent.
I like the .45-70, as with the others, there are questions about if it's powerful enough, but the .45-70 doesn't leave anything to question about stopping power. Unfortunately, most places up here require shotgun and muzzle loaders only. For that, I have a Mossberg with a rifled barrel and Lightfield Hybrid EXP slugs. I've been meaning to try the Hornady SST slugs some time, but I'm kinda reluctant, as I've heard they just go in one side and out the other.





But just remember, a .223, .300, or .25/.30-06 may or may not expand, but a .45 will never shrink.
I use a 7mm Rem mag. I love it. It has a flat trajectory, so its pretty accurate for long range shooting. It doesn't put a hole in a deer large enough to drive through, but it is big enough round to take larger game like Elk or Caribou
I have used my Mosin Nagant 91/30. I accurized it by bedding it in a new stock, reworking the trigger, shortening the barrel by three inches and recrowning the muzzle, rehoning the barrel to .312 and rereaming the chamber. Then adding a 3 X 9 X 40 NcStar scope and bending the bolt down 80 degrees.


I have taken 6 deer, in the seven years I have had this rifle, all at over 300 yards. They say you cannot make these weapons accurate. I would have to disagree. With a little work they can be extremely accurate.


To $%*# it all. I have to disagree with you. I believe shooting at that distance gives the animal a better chance of getting away. You would not go through all that trouble to get that close to an animal if you were not sure you would get the best single kill shot. Well, I would not sit for hours waiting quietly waiting for a deer or elk to come into the range I hunt if I were not sure I got that one shot kill. At that range if I am off by more than 1 or 2 MOA with my shot I have missed. Deers and Elks being as skittish as they are. If the bullet wizzing by dose'nt, the report from my rifle surely will scare them away before I can rechamber and reacquire my prey.
savage 110 in 270





Mossberg 100 ATR in .308
I have a 30-06..... I would like to get a .308 next..... then a .280.... my favorite is my Mosin Nagant.... but it is too loud to deer hunt with, but I love to shoot it.
Browning BLR in .358 Winchester.





Doc
I have shot deer with 20 ga and 12 ga shotguns as well as 30-30 rifle as well as a 50 cal muzzle loader. I use the 30-30 when ever I can, but sometimes hunt in shot gun only areas and durring muzzle loading only seasons.
I would love to take one with my S and W 357 but i usually have my Browning BAR in 30 06. it was my Dad's. He bought it in 1970 and when he passed in 1986 i got it. I named it Angie as a joke when i was in my 20's. I am now 43 and will hopefully hand it off to my son someday. still shoots exactly where the cross hairs are setting.
The smaller the better. A .243 bolt action Ruger with a 3x9 leopold scope does quite well where I live. However, many in Nebraska are very successful just using their front bumpers! :o)
My first rifle ';of my very own'; was a Remington 700 BDL in 6mm, still the most accurate rifle I own, and I've killed more deer with it than all the others combined, but the small caliber and excessive muzzle velocity make it a less than perfect choice.


Even more than in my youth, I've grown to appreciate a Winchester model 71 (348 Winchester) I inherited from my father, a great lever gun for thick woods, but it doesn't have the ';legs'; to consider it a great all-around deer rifle.


Overall, I'd say my favorite is a Remington 700 Mountain in 7x57, a rifle that started life as a problem, but with a little home gunsmithing turned into a real shooter. Both rifle and cartridge seem to be about perfect compromises when all is considered.


I have several others I wouldn't want to part with, and still others I've bought for family members (and spent a lot of time shooting, since I'm the primary handloader in the family) that are good, too, but for me those are the tops on my list.
For the biggest deer, I use a .300 Winchester Magnum bolt-action by Sako. I shot a whitetail in New Brunswick, Canada that weighed over 330 pounds. My brother used a .30-30 Winchester ';M-94'; lever-action. My ten year old nephew got his first deer with a .243 Remington bolt-action. I would be willing to use my brother's or my nephew's rifles at closer range on smaller deer.
In Canada i prefer my 300 Weatherby mag, good for coyote up to Grizzly bear, but i really love my wifes Browning 25-06 Man what a rifle. She has dropped all of her deer with one shot %26amp; dropped 1 of her 2 moose with one shot.
Only shotguns are legal in Illinois, but if i had any pick of a rifle, it would be a 308.
I prefer for my .50 Knight In-Line Muzzleloader. Where I hunt shots are close, so I only get one shot anyways. The 240 grain bullet has plenty of knockdown power. Plus it's just plain fun.
270 or 308 caliber......... Ennie Meanni Mighty Moe (Either One..........lol) Remington Model 700's ....
I like my Remington model 700 in 30-06. It works well for me, and at the range from a bench I can put 3 shot groups into a slightly ragged hole at 100 yards. My rifle prefers Federal Premium bullets. My wife likes her .243. It all seems to come down to personal preference, doesn't it?
at least get one that shoots them dead on first shot.





not letting them bleed to death in 6 hours or so while your trying to find them. yea?
hunting deer or elk with guns is not hunting in my opinon. hey look at that deer standing 300 yards away im just going to jump out of my truck put my scope on it and blow teh shoulder to pieces and so on. best weapon to hunt deer and elk the most chanllenging and rewarding try seeing that same deer sneak up to about 50 yards from it not seen heard or smelled and shoot it with a bow.... real hunting the way our ancestors did it not only for sport and game but to survive

No comments:

Post a Comment