Friday, February 5, 2010

What kind of deer could this be in the Houston,Tx area???

Me and my son were out and saw four deer...the Male had what looked like horns that went straight up about 2ft and my son said there was hair on the horns??not sure bout that part, but the deers were really brown looking..I thought maybe ';mule deer';??? but not sure. I have never seen one with this color. and 3 I guess females with him??? please help!:)What kind of deer could this be in the Houston,Tx area???
Possibly a young Red Stag Deer like this one: http://www.natures-desktop.com/images/wa鈥?/a>





Here is a picture of a young buck with the velvet fur still on antlers, which will molt later: http://www.woodlands.scotshost.co.uk/pag鈥?/a>What kind of deer could this be in the Houston,Tx area???
They may have been elk.They aren't common in Texas but there are a few.The fur you saw is velvet.Its a blood rich skin that covers the antlers to aid growth.
Mule Deer are built stockier and tend to find them alone rather than in a group. The hair is the velvet...they grow their horns over the year and it's a layer of blood vessels feeding the horns...then they lose them.
Are you sure they were not white tailed deers? Mule deers are not very common in Texas and white tailed deers actually do vary in color. It could have just been a dark one.
I don't know but my friend has deer running all over his yard/property and he has chickens so I told him that he lives on a farm!
Im thinking its white tailed deer

No comments:

Post a Comment